We are working in Kenya to develop locally adapted treatment protocols, educate healthcare professionals through workshops and identify and research local issues to create corrective measures.
of the children expected to be living with cancer in the catchment area for Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital are currently being diagnosed
Kenya is located in the East coast of Africa. It has a population of about 46 million people, 40% of whom live below the poverty line. There are about 15 million children in Kenya under the age of fifteen. The Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) serves the Western part of Kenya with a catchment population of about 20 million. It is an academic and a tertiary care referral hospital, which diagnoses 100-110 children with cancer per year.
The government provides funding to the hospital though it is not enough to pay for all the costs incurred and a majority of the patients use out-of-pocket costs to pay for their medical expenses. Only 20% of the pediatric oncology patients have health insurance provided by the government owned national health insurance fund which enables them to cater for most of their inpatient hospital costs.
- The development of locally adapted treatment protocols
- Regular contact with ministers and policymakers and advocacy for integration of palliative care into National Health Policies
- Training of healthcare professionals on the early warning signs of childhood cancer
- Research to document local issues and formulate corrective measures
- Training of laboratory staff and development of standard operating procedures for various diagnostic tests
- Use of teleconferences and online consultations for patient management
- Lack of adequately qualified personnel
- A huge numbers of children left undiagnosed
- Almost 30% of children receiving treatment do not complete it
- Enormous distances to the hospital
- Low awareness and knowledge of childhood cancer amongst healthcare professionals and the general public
Will you join us?
Together we can close the gap in childhood cancer care.
FIND OUT MORE
Annual Reviews & Accounts